[nycphp-talk] Parse HTML Files as PHP

Tim Lieberman tim_lists at o2group.com
Sun Feb 22 15:31:14 EST 2009

On Feb 22, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Greg Rundlett wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Ajai Khattri <ajai at bitblit.net>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Peter Sawczynec wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have any comment on this strategy pro or con?
>>
>> Not good for performance or scalability.
>
> Why exactly?  mod_php is both performant and scalable.

mod_php can be a memory hog, bloating your httpd processes.  Who needs
that bloat to serve static content?

Nice little webcast about this here:

<http://www.joomlaperformance.com/articles/webcasts/why_mod_php_is_bad_for_performance_52_58.html

>> A PHP framework with routing
>> should allow you use URLs with .html at the end without resorting to
>> changing Apache's behavior.
>
> You're saying that  complex framework is a better solution than a
> configuration one-liner.  Why?

Here I agree.  Frameworks are great for complex systems.

But they're more trouble than they're worth if all you want is pretty
URLs.  Though, I suppose you could write a little microframework to
just do routing.  But, on the other hand, you've already got
mod_rewrite.