[nycphp-talk] mysql vs mysqli

Artur Marnik artur at marnik.net
Tue Feb 24 05:12:29 EST 2009

 From my experience if mysql is sufficient you shouldn't rewrite all the
code

I used mysqli recently because I had to establish SSL connection to the
external database server (mysql extension cannot do that)
I worked great and I discovered power of OO mysqli
I really liked it and if possible I will use it from now on but I don't
think you will gain anything by rewriting old code
mysqli is faster (some people claim 30% gain) but is it worth time and
effort? you have to judge based on your current projects, load on the
server etc - but maybe it will be cheaper and easier to buy some extra RAM

Artur