[nycphp-talk] spreading php out

Brent Baisley brenttech at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 10:10:26 EST 2009

I don't think you need to strip anything down. Apache/PHP/MySQL would
run just fine on a G4 in their standard setup, just some standard
configuration tweaking.
The hardware would actually be a good setup to optimize your code,
which is where the biggest slow downs usually occur. If it runs fine
on a G4, it will run great on better hardware.
Also, if you are running OSX, especially and older version, the
bottleneck could be the operating system. Older versions of OSX didn't
have fine grained locking of system resources (i.e. networking), so
the slowdowns occur because of locking and waiting, not because of CPU
load. OSX is getting better, but still has a little ways to go.

Brent Baisley