[nycphp-talk] How to pass array when click on "submit" ?

Brian Dailey brian at realm3.com
Thu Jan 29 11:33:37 EST 2009

Jesse, don't worry about having questions, they are welcome on this list.

As far as your question, yes, it can be done. If you create a form input
labeled data[Person][name] it will be referenced in the next page like this:

$_POST['data']['Person']['name]

Some frameworks use this extensively, as it makes it easy to recursively
go over data.

- Brian

Jesse Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Michele Waldman <mmwaldman at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>> Fernando hit is right on the head and Elijah's post was fun.  Why are we
>> still going here?

>>> name
>>> position
>>> city
>>> state
>>> zip
>>> 2.
>>> name
>>> position
>>> city
>>> state
>>> zip
>>> 3.
>>> name
>>> position
>>> city
>>> state
>>> zip
>>> ----------
>>> --------
>>> --------
>>>
>>> How to program php script to pass all these above
>>> information?"name","position","city","state" and "zip" are all array.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> chad
>>>
>>> <form name="form1" method="post" action="create2.php">
>> one)</strong></td>
>>> <tbody id="dynamic_table_body">
>>> <select name="select[]" id="select">
>>> <option value="president" selected>president</option>
>>> <option value="vice president">vice president</option>
>>> <option value="secretary">secretary</option>
>>> <option value="others">others</option>
>>> </select>
>>> </label></td>
>>> <input type="text" name="city[]" id="city" />
>>> </label></td>
>>> <input type="text" name="state[]" id="city" />
>>> </label></td>
>>> <input type="text" name="zip[]" id="textfield3" />
>>> </label></td>
>>> </button></td>
>>> </form>

>>> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
>>>

>> The name of a form element affects the data type? Doesn't some sort of
>> eval or ${} magic have to happen here? This is a little funky playing
>> around with bareword interpretation.
>> Is there some switch in the global configuration which turns this kind
>> of insanity off? I want my hash keys to be plain old strings, whether
>> they have square brackets in them or not.
>>
>> Referring to Elijah's post, er email... I would expect that
>>

>> <input name="data[test][]" value="index 0" />
>>
>>  would yield a normal 1-dimensional array with an unfortunately named key
>>
>> $_POST['data[test][]'] == "index 0"
>>
>> -jesse
>>
>> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
>>

> I was just kind of caught off guard, not trying to derail the
> discussion. I had no idea that this could be done. Is it really true?
>
> -jesse

realm3 web applications [realm3.com]
Information architecture, application development.
phone: (917) 512-3594
fax: (440) 744-3559