[nycphp-talk] where in filesystem to install php application

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Wed Jul 1 11:54:29 EDT 2009

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, Michael Hernandez wrote:

> I worry that using /usr/local for stuff might
> end up with an accidental delete or overwrite by the package manager.

Why? System packages never install into /usr/local. Traditionally,
/usr/local has always been for "local" stuff. When I build stuff from
source, I generally will install everything in /usr/local.

Most Linux distros generally follow the FHS standard, see:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALLOCALHIERARCHY

--
Aj.