[nycphp-talk] JSON and MVC

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Sat Jul 18 10:40:30 EDT 2009

Hey Hans:

In a prior engagement, we were using XUL as the view and JSON as the
communication protocol.  This was nice, since the entire user interface
resided on the user's desktop (as a Firefox Add-on), all we needed to
transmit was the data.  Of course, you need to be using HTML, so
transpose the XUL I'm showing here into HTML.  The framework we created
used a consistent naming scheme, so the names of elements in the XUL
matched identifiers in the database.

This is a quick example.  There's a lot more code and abstraction
involved, of course.

-----------------
<tree id="tree_loan" onselect="select_loan_tree_item(this)"
    ondblclick="select_loan(this.currentIndex)">
  <treecols>
    <treecol id="loan_id" label="Loan Id" />
        <splitter class="tree-splitter"/>
    <treecol id="borrower_last_name" label="Borrower" />
        <splitter class="tree-splitter"/>
    <treecol id="borrower_borrower_ssn" label="Borrower SSN" />
  </treecols>
  <treechildren />
</tree>

-----------------
<?php

$sql = 'SELECT loan_id, borrower_last_name, borrower_borrower_ssn
    FROM loan';

$result = <execute $sql>;

$out = array();
foreach ($result as $row) {
    $out[$row['loan_id']] = $row;
}

echo json_encode($out);

FYI, in XUL, a "tree" is an element that is used in situations where you
need to automatically repeat the structure for each row to form a
list/table like output.  Pretty sweet.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/