[nycphp-talk] Frameworks & Fast Iterations

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sat Jul 25 18:49:00 EDT 2009

Chris Snyder wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Leam Hall<leam at reuel.net> wrote:
>> If you're coming out with site-breaking changes every 6 months and not
>> supporting older versions, why would anyone use the product? Frameworks
>> should be a tool, not a master. They should save time.
>>
>> Or so I thought. Saves me the trouble of learning one.
>>
>> Leam
>
> Oh no, that's exactly right. But at the same time, if you don't
> release a new version of your framework every six months developers
> get antsy about whether the project is abandoned. Can't win.

You can if you continue to support the old version or, what might be difficult
to do and not accepted by some, provide a tool that upgrades exsting scripts
to work with the new framework. We do that with databases, why not with code
as well?

The question is if one really needs an off the shelf framework. While I do see
the benefit in doing so (why reinvent the wheel?) if it is really only for
some basic tasks then rolling your own might be better. Says someone who does
neither....

David