[nycphp-talk] Periodic Browsercam.com group availability

Peter Sawczynec ps at blu-studio.com
Wed Jun 3 22:39:14 EDT 2009

Now, me I don't guarantee anything (especially not in writing), but I do
use words such as code is "targeted for assured compatibility with" blah
blah.

As far as I can tell, speaking with one handy broad paint stroke, as
long as the JavaScript code in question is always addressing everything
in the DOM via the general and proper "getElementById()" method
including XML=like child elements (and nothing in any older style), then
this JavaScript code is current, correct and sufficiently "cross
browser, platform independent" to work in all relevant and
widely-distributed browsers. If this type of modern democratic
ECMAScript breaks in any old browser, then it is very likely that that
browser is TOO old and is likely a security hazard to code down to in
this day and age. And so I wouldn't bother to do that and I would tell
the client so. And that gets the "old browser compatibility" albatross
off the table too. Yeah, nice.

And so once again, I find that Opera, IE, Safari and FF can all play
ball just by coding to clean modern standards.

I don't use layouts that stretch to 100% page width. That is a CSS
control nightmare. I make one master relatively positioned outer div
container of a fixed width of 900 - 1100 px and then every other div is
an absolutely positioned child div inside the master div.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec
Technology Dir.
blūstudio