[nycphp-talk] Trying to decide between MDB2 and PHP PDO

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 18:04:03 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Eddie Drapkin<oorza2k5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait, are you advocating //against// prepared statements?

Not at all, but when using mysql, you should emulate them.  I am
actually all for "prepared" style queries, if I ever see
"mysqli_real_escape_string" in someone's code, I immediately write the
person off as clueless.

> And why the hate for PDO?

I don't see what it offers.  It is too verbose for my taste:

I like to be able to write:
$posts = $db->sql("SELECT * FROM posts LIMIT ?,?",$offset,$length)->fetchAll();

To achieve this, I have to wrap whatever I am using, and I have found
PDO to be slower and more buggy than mysqli.

Regards,
John Campbell