[nycphp-talk] Trying to decide between MDB2 and PHP PDO

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Fri Jun 26 04:06:24 EDT 2009

Hans Zaunere wrote:
>> Hi, I work with Kevin. Our application needs to run on both mySQL and
>>
> Oracle
>
>> so we are looking for portability. We currently are using PEAR DB and we
>>
> are
>
>> looking into moving to MDB2 or PDO so we thought it would be a good idea

> If you actually do expect to need agile portability between databases, the
> application level programming interface is secondary.  Really think about
> your schema (column types, return types, constraints, etc) and queries (join
> behavior, optimizations, transactions, limitations, etc).

Kevin already stated that he has a need for MySQL/Oracle portability so
the following does not likely apply, but this 3 year old article is an
interesting read:

http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/08/13/four-types-of-database-abstraction-layers/

What are your thoughts on the following paragraph?

"I generally dislike Type 3 software, and I think anyone who’s ever
written serious applications that require real performance from a
database system will probably agree, for fairly obvious reasons. For one
thing, platform-independent SQL is a myth. Easy and/or painless
conversion between different database systems is, too. It does not exist
in the real world. And I don’t agree with those who assert it’s a common
requirement, or that it would be a good thing. I think porting from one
system to another is generally rare, and trying to write “portable”
systems when there’s no clear need is going to cause nothing but problems."

~Rolan