[nycphp-talk] Zip code radius

Edward Potter edwardpotter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:36:37 EDT 2009

Adding the maps display with google is pretty easy.  At this point you
probably would have fun building this out on an iPhone with the new 3.0
Mapkit.  You can get pretty crazy with all the geocoding features in Xcode.

Drop zillions of Google "Pins" out of the sky, it's can get crazy.

PS.  here's +90 links for mapping I've been collecting, lots of code to
experiment with:
http://delicious.com/ejpusa/googlemaps

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Aaron Fischer <afischer at smith.edu> wrote:

> Wanted to post my results.  I have successfully created a zip code radius
> function on my site, similar to a store locator.  Here's a brief recap:
>
> 1)  Geocoded around 31,000 addresses sitting in my database, using Google
> Maps API (
> http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=80200&topic=11364).
>  Modified the goodle sample code to fit my needs.  One important thing to
> note, I was getting lots of bad responses from the API.  I was able to fix
> this by adding "&oe=utf8" to the end of the request url.
>
> 2)  Downloaded and modified this free zip code radius class (
> http://www.micahcarrick.com/04-19-2005/php-zip-code-range-and-distance-calculation.html
> ).
>
> 3)  Downloaded the 1990 census bureau list of zips and geo coordinates (
> http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/zips.txt) to use as a start
> point for the range lookup.  More info on the census lists here (
> http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html).
>
> 4)  My code currently produces a text list of locations.  I would like to
> add the visual google maps display with place markers.  It's not an
> essential feature and I'll add as time allows.  Will post results on that
> later if it happens.
>
> Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions!  Much appreciated.
>

> -Aaron

IM/iChat: ejpusa
Links: http://del.icio.us/ejpusa
Follow me: http://www.twitter.com/ejpusa