[nycphp-talk] Apache is killing me.

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:36:27 EDT 2009

I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice.  I don't
think it is impossible to figure out what the underlying issue is, but
I made a bunch of changes based on the recommendations here.

1) I switched the hardware (pretty easy, since it's just a Xen instance)
2) I upgraded Apache and PHP
3) I changed max requests per child to a sensible number rather than
unlimited.  I think log rotate would achieve a similar effect by
restarting the webserver every day and I'll eventually go that route.
4) I set up monitoring scripts that will dump the output of `ps` and
`apache2ctl fullstatus` to a log in the event the apache craps out
again, and I'll be sure to get a gdb dump if it happens again.
5) For other reasons, I reduced the Keep-Alive time and moved most of
the static content to Amazon's CDN.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
John Campbell