[nycphp-talk] Implementing Version Control

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Mon Mar 30 10:10:20 EDT 2009

>> I'd say look into a hosted version control service.

I can strongly recommend UnFuddle:

http://unfuddle.com/

Both Git and SVN hosting (and the ability to switch between both).
Bug tracking and wikis as well.

One particular feature that I like is the ability to "commit against
bugs".  So, someone files a bug with the details.  You commit the code
and reference the bug number in the commit message.  A link to the
diff along with your commit message shows up the comments of the bug
(you can also close bugs this way).  This feature (which is really
just an SVN hook) is absolutely priceless long-term.

I personally think that GitHub and Unfuddle should merge.  Github is
awesome for the "social and personal" aspects of sharing code, but
Unfuddle really has the business side down.  Super cheap too, IMO.

Thanks,

Tom
http://www.liphp.org