[nycphp-talk] Best practices for combining paths?

Paul A Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Mon Mar 30 17:22:58 EDT 2009

I pretty frequently write code like

$url_base="http://somesite.com/system/controller";
$path="object_type/verb.modifier/object_id";
$url="{$url_base}/{$path}";

note that this working correctly depends sensitively on how paths are
used,  for instance,  if somebody puts a slash at the end of $url_base,
you wind up with a double slash in the path.  That doesn't usually have
a disasterous effect,  but I'm a stickler about url canonicalizaton.

My question is,  am I missing a good PHP built-in for combining parts of
URLs or filesystem paths?  Is there a good library I should use?