[nycphp-talk] Switch-Case v. if/else

Eddie Drapkin oorza2k5 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 14:12:15 EDT 2009

Does anyone know how the PHP Interpreter pulls switch/case statements
together?  Does it emulate a C compiler and, for larger case sets, build a
huge if/else cascade? Does it do this always?  Is there any way to know when
it builds a jump table (like a s/c is supposed to)?  I've got a slow script
(it's eating ~85% of execution time) that I can't work around and one of the
slower parts is a switch case (which is slightly faster than manually
building an if/else cascade) and was wondering if anyone had any performance
tips for cases like these.