[nycphp-talk] [0T] Verizon FIOS -- comments?

David Mintz vtbludgeon at gmail.com
Fri May 15 16:04:39 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Christopher R. Merlo <cmerlo at ncc.edu>wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Christopher R. Merlo <cmerlo at ncc.edu>wrote:
>
> Yeah, I should have mentioned that part.  I don't use a thumbdrive, because
>> I can just ssh into my home machine from school (or Panera or wherever) and
>> access whatever files I need.
>

> BTW, something else I just thought of, which might matter.  Even though my
> Cablevision IP is assigned by DHCP, in practice it never changes, because
> the router is always on to renew the lease.  The last time my IP address
> changed was when I moved to my current apartment, which will be three years
> ago in a couple of weeks.  And since I already own a domain name (for my
> band), I assigned a subdomain of it to my Cablevision IP address, so that
> now I don't even have to remember the IP address to log in to home; I just
> have to remember the name of my band.
> -c

Over the yearsI have been through several DSL providers that went belly up
or otherwise became unacceptable (i.e., Speakeasy after it got bought), and
I have more recently been with Comcast, and with all those that were dynamic
IP I have never had any trouble thanks to dyndns.org. Now the Linksys router
I use has a whats-its, dynamic ip updater client built right in, and it's
been flawless. Interestingly, none of these ISPs has blocked port 80 on me.

btw you said "I thought about switching to FiOS when Cablevision announced
Optimum WiFi..." I take it you mean you were considering switching and then
did not? So Optimum Wifi has been good for you? That's interesting. I might
be nice to take advantage of it on NJ Transit trains which I ride every day
and I've been seeing those billboard ads for it in the train stations.

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness