[nycphp-talk] gettext under Windows

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Mon Nov 2 21:02:48 EST 2009

I tried searching the archive first, and I don't think this has come up
before...

I've had a couple of requests to add translations to an open source
(GPL) project, and I'd like to implement it provided it's not going to
become some kind of ongoing burden to me or turn the application into a
resource-sucking monster.  It seems to me that what people are using is
GNU gettext, but I keep reading about various problems from threading
issues to incompatible .MO files when using the built-in support.

Then I discovered PHP Gettext ( https://launchpad.net/php-gettext/ ), an
all-PHP replacement and/or fallback library for Gettext support, which
apparently is used by Gallery and WordPress, among others.  Does anyone
know if this is the path to Gettext enlightenment under Windows?

I'm also open to hearing about other solutions that are suitable for a
GPL project.

- Ron