[nycphp-talk] Weird forum feature I'd like

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:08:54 EST 2009

Hmm.. thanks!  I'll take a look.

Keep in mind I do run a cost/time analysis in my head.

It goes like this at the moment:
I know PHP/MySQL
All interested parties have websites and can most likely run PHP/MySQL
I know FUDforum comes CLOSE to the feature I need
So right now I figure I'm looking at no more than 20 hours of work to
program my own custom solution on top of that

So anything that takes me more than 20 hours to figure out how it works and
customize it has a pretty steep hill to climb.  I'm willing to go up to 40
hours on something that works "out of the box" because then instead of there
being one person to support it technically, there is the group behind the
established project.

So this looks good to check out.....  the main thing is that it has to be
something that does not require a daemon running.  IE if one party sticks
their server on godaddy and another on media temple and a third on a
dedicated box, they have to all work together with nothing more involved
than a config file and a cron job.

Even if it doesn't meet this immediate need it is fun to poke around with
nntp again.