[nycphp-talk] Advice on CodeWorks Conference Tracks

Nate Abele nate at cakephp.org
Sat Oct 3 18:35:43 EDT 2009

On Oct 3, 2009, at 12:00 PM, talk-request at lists.nyphp.org wrote:

> Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:12:06 -0400
> From: "lists at nopersonal.info" <lists at nopersonal.info>
> To: NYPHP Talk <talk at lists.nyphp.org>
> Subject: [nycphp-talk] Advice on CodeWorks Conference Tracks
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm going to the CodeWorks conference this weekend and was just
> taking a
> look at the final lineup of tracks that'll be offered.

Hi Bev,

I spoke in the first 3 cities of the tour, so I can tell you from
experience that all the talks are great. :-)

I'm assuming you're coming from a beginner's perspective, so here are
my suggestions:

- Security in PHP Projects
-  Developing DB-Driven Websites
- Five Things I Wish They'd Told Me (this is probably the best
beginner / intro talk on the tour)
- If you feel like you're up to Andrei's Regex Clinic, do that,
otherwise stick to Security-Centered Design
- Out With Regex, In With Tokens is a good talk if you're interested
in development tooling, otherwise check out Alternative Databases
- Time = Money
- Webservice Design with AtomPub
- Stupid Browser Tricks is a look at automated client-side debugging,
and PECL exploration is a tour through some of the available
extensions to PHP.  Both are great talks, just depends on where your
interest is.
- Design Patterns in PHP is a beginners' talk as well (and Cal is
giving it, so it'll definitely be very approachable). Highly
recommended for beginners.

Anyway, hope that helps. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

- Nate Abele
   Lead Developer, CakePHP