[nycphp-talk] manipulating an IMAP account

David Mintz vtbludgeon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 14:48:10 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Daniel Convissor <
danielc at analysisandsolutions.com> wrote:

> Hey David:
>
> > One option that occurs to me is to extend Zend_Mail_Storage_Imap and
> > override the parts that are giving me grief. But.... is that sound
> practice?
>
> It's excellent practice.  This way you get the benefits of the original
> class and the benefits of of the fix, all without having to modify the
> original class file.

Well, I did it and it works, or so it seems. My only hesitation was because
I generally think of extension as a means of enhancing or specializing the
parent class rather than correcting its flaws.

> Going one step further is to open a bug report (which I see someone has).
>
> The next level of karma is obtained by checking out the project in
> SVN/CVS/whatever, fixing the problem and submitting the output of
> "<cvs/svn/whatever> diff" onto the bug report.

There's not a shred of originality in my solution, someone else wrote the
code (the guy who filed the issue) and I merely put some pieces together.
But... with attribution to the source, why not.

> And if you want to reach nirvana, you'll modify and enhance the related
> unit tests and submit those along with the bug report.

And learn something about unit testing an IMAP client in the process --
nice. Thanks.

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness