[nycphp-talk] virtualization options...

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Sun Oct 18 21:25:49 EDT 2009

Hi,

> I'd like a free tool that allows me to run a linux virtual machine on
> my windows laptop so I can do development on it, ftp and ssh to it, and
> run various services on it like apache and procmail...
>
> I know these tools (apache and procmail) are available for windows, but
> I *need* a linux instance on my laptop as a virtual machine....
>
> Any suggestions for this?
>
> I went to the VMWare site and couldn't figure out which product I
> needed - they seem to have 4000 products...Any ideas?

Yes, VMWare is conveniently confusing for their free products.  Hmm... it
seems to have gotten worse.  Perhaps:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/

And then the Download VMware ESXi free link in the right column.  Basically,
anything they offer for free will do what you need for basic stuff.

There's also any of the free stuff from these:

http://www.xen.org/
http://www.virtualbox.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC

End of the day, for desktop purposes these are all about the same.  Just dig
until you find something without a trial license.