[nycphp-talk] developer's machine specs -- recomendations?

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:40:18 EDT 2009

I'm in the middle of looking for a new laptop to go along nicely with web
development right now, so I figure I'd share my 2 cents.

Right now, I have a desktop with 2 22" widescreen monitors, but am looking
for a laptop to complement it.

In my opinion, with web development (and programming in general) screen
space is king.  Web development _USUALLY_ doesn't take that much CPU power,
but you don't want to be lagging behind when you want to get work done, so
you can't get a really old processor.  I think the ideal solution is to get
a portable laptop (13"/15" screen, lightweight) that has a video out of some
sort (whether it be HDMI/VGA/DVI).  This way, you get the luxury of
portability (client meetings, airports/planes, trains, coffee shops), and
when you want to work at home, you can hook up a nice 24" monitor, full
sized keyboard / mouse and work as if you're on a good desktop.  In
addition, you don't have 2 separate computers where you have to worry about
file syncing (I know, I know, remote repositories - but that's not as easy
as it sounds sometimes).

The trickiest part in taking this route is finding a laptop that will
support the video out well enough on linux to hook up an external screen,
which was the problem with my old laptop (I hate SiS).

I'm currently looking at the HP Pavilion dm3z which was just released, and
am probably just going to hope and pray that Ubuntu works on it because no
one seems to have reviewed it yet.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:20 AM, P. Ju (朱漢璇) <pjlists at pobox.com> wrote:

> Buy a MacBook/MacBook Pro You will love it. I finally switched after
> keeping an eye on them for many yrs. Should've switched sooner! You
> get the best of both geek and user-friendly app worlds. I use
> Microsoft Office for office tasks, and terminal shell to login to
> remote servers or load up git source trees locally.
>
> PJ
>
> On 10/19/09, Ajai Khattri <ajai at bitblit.net> wrote:
> >
> > Ive been very happy with a dual-core box I built based on a Shuttle
> > barebones kit (shuttle.com). They are very compact but capable machines.
> >
> > I think being able to run virtual machines is important for web
> developers
> > so you'll want a box with a decent amount of RAM, maybe 4Gb. Also, two
> > monitors is very useful, so maybe look at cards with dual-outputs.
> >
> > Remember disk is cheap. Memory is cheap. So if you're buying a prebuilt
> > box, make sure the diak and memory upgrades aren't a tota' rip. (If they
> > are and you still wanna buy, then buy a minimal spec and upgrade
> > yourself).
> >

> > --
> > Aj.

> > http://www.nyphp.org/Show-Participation