[nycphp-talk] developer's machine specs -- recomendations?

Christopher R. Merlo cmerlo at ncc.edu
Mon Oct 19 11:33:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Brian O'Connor <gatzby3jr at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Buy a laptop.]  This way, you get the luxury of portability ...  In
> addition, you don't have 2 separate computers where you have to worry about
> file syncing (I know, I know, remote repositories - but that's not as easy
> as it sounds sometimes).

Since this came up, I thought I'd share what I'm doing, since it seems to
work well for me.  Note: I am not a professional web developer, but I do
play one at the front of the classroom.

I have two servers at school -- one for development and one for production.
Both Debian (although I am running testing on the dev box and stable on the
prod box).  I do my development by using MacFusion (
http://www.macfusionapp.org/) to mount my $HOME/public_html directory from
the testing box onto my MacBook Pro (or my iMac, if I'm at home), and then
run Aptana Studio to develop.  Aptana thinks it's working with files on a
local drive, so it doesn't have to do anything fancy -- and neither did I to
get it set up.  So, wherever I am -- home, school, Panera, hotel -- I can
mount that dev box locally and play with the files.

To push changes to production, I just scp them over to the production
machine.

As far as keeping everything else in sync, I have been making heavy use of
my free accounts on both Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/) and Dropbox (
http://www.getdropbox.com/), and they have been life savers.

As far as a web development machine (oh yeah, the original thread!), I would
also recommend a Mac with lots of RAM, because then, in the host OS and two
VMs, you can now test pretty much every browser people will conceivably use
to visit your site.

Just my $0.02,
-c