[nycphp-talk] talk Digest, Vol 36, Issue 14

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 21:35:20 EDT 2009

Thanks for all the very informative replies, and sorry to reply so
late myself.

I always planned on talking to a lawyer, but I absolutely hate to go
into timed/paid meetings with someone when I don't have a clue about
what's going on. I wanted to get a better feeling for what I was
dealing with and figured people on the list could give me an idea of
what the standard was.

Thanks again,
Brian

On 10/14/09, tedd <tedd at sperling.com> wrote:
> At 10:01 AM -0700 10/14/09, Kristina Anderson wrote:
>>  >So true.  Unless the total value is less than $5,000 (in NYS that's the
>>small claims court limit), or over  $75,000 (because if it's not, good
>>luck finding an attorney who will come out of their torpor long enough
>>to take your call)...basically with the way things are, you're out of
>>luck.
>>
>>So really a smart thing to do with anyone you don't trust (aside from
>>not working for them) is to keep things in increments of $5,000 or less
>>if possible...
>>
>>Kristina
>

> That's really a great way to handle the money your client is going to
> pay you In-State. In other words, keep the amount regarding the
> current project below the small claims court threshold -- check your
> own State for limits.
>
> The problem that most of us have, or at least me, is that the
> majority of my clients are out of State (some out of country). I
> seldom have recourse in small claims court. And even if I do win
> venue, then there's the matter of collection. While the court may
> award you the right to collect, it doesn't guarantee that you will
> collect or even help you find where their money is. Most people think
> that when you win that the court somehow gives you a check, but that
> is far from the truth. You have to do the collection yourself OR hire
> someone to collect for you, which can be very expensive.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>
> PS: I had to look up "torpor" -- good word.
>
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com

Sent from my mobile device