[nycphp-talk] Off the shelp CMS w/o the layout?

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Oct 22 23:41:35 EDT 2009

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle-at-gmail.com |nyphp MAIN ONE dev/internal
group use| wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Peter Becker <peterbsemail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there even such a thing as an off-the-shelf CMS that does NOT do layout?
>>  We are just beginning to design and spec the next rev of our site using
>> Zend Framework.  We're looking for a something that will work for the
>> business to create and update content but not get in the way of our page
>> design/implementation, code promotion and environment management.  Any
>> guidance here is greatly appreciated
>>

> Check out silverstripe, which might do what you are looking for. It
> takes a page-centric design attitude which definitely sits well with
> designers.
>
> http://www.silverstripe.org/
>
> -- Mitch

I always look at Mitch's recommendations, so I just dl'd and installed
Silverlight and put up a test site. Nice and easy. But... sadly, not SEO
compatible out of the box, and not simple to fix.

The immediate core issue for me is the way it parses the URL on a slash...

Practically speaking,  this causes duplicate content issues for
spidering search engines e.g. the aboutus page is accessible at
www.example.com/aboutus/ but also resolves at
www.example.com/aboutus/whatever
and www.example.com/aboutus/whatever/whatever/

You don't get a 404 until you go three slashes out... chalk it up to the
sapphire framework's front controller.

I'm looking to see if I can clarify this for the sapphire dev forum, or
if it has been addressed already in the roadmap....

-=john