[nycphp-talk] Valudating common field types

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Mon Oct 26 15:48:11 EDT 2009

Yogesh Agashe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to this NYPHP mailing list. So hello to everyone
> and thanks for the thorough discussions which help a beginner developer
> like me.

Welcome, was the same with me, except that I never really left beginner stage.

  > Is there any other way to validate first and last names. It will be nice
> to have have inbuilt function for such commonly used field types. I will
> like to know how people tackle these issue.
> Thanks.

The only thing I would check is that the fields are not empty. The maximum
length is set via the maxlength parameter in HTML and everything else
qualifies as  a valid name. I don't think you can reasonably script validation
to make sure that the first name entered is "Dirk" and not "Dork".

David