[nycphp-talk] Valudating common field types

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 16:26:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Yogesh Agashe <yogesh.agashe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. Right, So many cases to handle in there. I will
> also add minimum 2 characters to the list.

May I ask, what is the point of all of this?  Who benefits from you
imposing all sorts of piddly rules about what is in a name?  Do you
benefit?  Why go to the extra effort to make your code only work for
99% of American English names.  If you do nothing, your code will work
for any name, and you will have more free time to do something
worthwhile.

BTW,  I just checked my database, and I have 2 icelandic customers
that don't even have last names on their credit cards.  I am glad I
don't do validation, because if I did, I probably would have lost
those customers.

Regards,
-John Campbell