[nycphp-talk] Assessing own skill level for jobs, was nyphp-jobs Junior PHP Dev

Yitzchak Schaffer yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com
Thu Sep 3 09:54:34 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I periodically read through PHP job ads that call for various levels of
expertise, without a solid understanding what the expectations are.  I
come from outside the world of formal IT education, largely self-taught
in coding and server admin, so for one thing I may be missing patches of
assumed "core" knowledge.

Does anyone have suggestions for guidelines or app design/code samples
of what's considered appropriate for an
Entry-Level/Junior/Senior/OOP/whatever PHP position, or
mistakes/shortcomings that may be typical or unacceptable at these levels?

Many thanks,

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager