[nycphp-talk] Bad ISP Problem: Need New Domain Registration, Management and Hosting Service

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Fri Sep 4 13:27:28 EDT 2009

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Michael B Allen wrote:

> So I'm looking for opinions about ISPs that handle domain
> registration, domain management (basically DNS zone record updating)
> and some hosting (with PHP of course) and how to transfer those
> domains. I actually host my important stuff myself on a virtual
> private server so I am primarily interested in domain registration and
> management. The current ISP has very crude utilities for managing the
> domains, changing DNS and so on. It can be a chore just to login and
> operate their "control panel".

Why does your *ISP* need to handle domain registration? Why not do it
yourself directly with a domain registrar? Many domain registrars offer
DNS too at no extra charge - that way you keep control of DNS and domains
and you can manage any migrations yourself.

> Also, if I paid for a domain for say 10 years, do I have to pay full
> price all over again?

If you are listed as the administrative contact on a domain, then you have
the authority to transfer that domain to another registrar.

--
Aj.