[nycphp-talk] Need help understanding NULL

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Fri Sep 4 20:52:35 EDT 2009

David Mintz wrote:
> Ah, not just in North America. Baseball is popular in Japan, Central
> America, the Carribean, etc etc because people like it, because it's
> /good/. One of those exports the US can feel proud of, unlike, e.g.,
> McDonald's.

Well, maybe the overpaid, pillpopping, spitting players got their big bellies
from McDonald's food? Being a foreign kid I find baseboll excruciatingly
boring, but I guess that can be said about any event of the entertainment
industry that borrows heavily from sports. Same with soccer in Germany, games
are now played at noon just so that more pay TV channels in Asia will pay big
bucks.
That said, there are semi-professional baseball leagues in Germany. See the
current standings for the first league here:
http://www.baseball-softball.de/bundesliga/index.php?id=00000105
Nice to see that they have playdowns like a real sports league. Apparently,
the Richrath Saints from my hometown are no longer playing. But we still got
the Longhorns (http://www.langenfeld-longhorns.com/index.php?id=11) and the
now independent Cheerleaders (http://www.cll-cheerleader.de/index.php) who are
the new German Champions!
Also, the DEL (German Icehockey League) started today and there are plenty of
US players (see here: http://www.del.org/). But me being a soccer guy I rather
stay with my favorite club (http://www.borussia.de/de/home,2,0.html), which
signed Michael Bradley, son of the coach of the US men's national soccer team.
Borussia Mönchengladbach was also the club where Kasey Keller played several
seasons.

OK, now what has that to do with a PHP mailing list? All these sites use PHP,
which is probably an even more spectacular export than baseball.

Happy PHPing,

David