[nycphp-talk] independent contractors and OSS

Kristina D. H. Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Tue Sep 8 18:13:40 EDT 2009

Hi Allen,

In my view there is a difference between code that contains specific
proprietary information or trade secrets of your client (very rare) and
code that is reusable, modular and somewhat generic in nature (99% of
code) and is akin to a programmer's "Toolkit" and isn't property of
anyone but the person who uses the tools.

I think that in most cases if clients have specific concerns with
confidentiality and code reuse, they will bring them up during
negotiations.  Otherwise, you should yourself be cognizant of (and
discuss with your attorney) what is considered proprietary information
in each context, if you have concerns.  But most of your code will be
considered "tools of the trade" and is fully reusable by you as such,
in accordance with the GPL, at least according to my best understanding.

Otherwise any restrictions on code reuse and publication aren't
reasonable or enforceable on the part of the client...because good code
gets reused, that's how things are done, and you should have the right
to reuse your code unless it violates specific trade secrets...at least
that's my viewpoint.   I'd love to hear any specific legal advice on
this topic.

Kristina