[nycphp-talk] independent contractors and OSS

Allen Shaw allen at TwoMiceAndAStrawberry.com
Wed Sep 9 10:37:42 EDT 2009

Chris Snyder wrote:
> As for contract, just pick a license (BSD seems to raise fewer hackles
> than GPL, but again most non-programmers don't care) and say something
> like: Client will retain the copyright to all work for hire, but
> agrees to release the project source code under the <specific license
> here> license.

Naming the license in the contract seems easy enough.  Of course, if the
(non-technical, consumer-minded) client holds the copyright, there is
very little chance they'll be enforcing the terms of the license -- but
even with that comment I'm approaching  "IANAL" territory, so I'll stop
here.

Thanks for your input, Chris.  Great to hear from someone who is
actually doing this.

- Allen

--
Allen Shaw
TwoMiceAndAStrawberry.com

"Data Management, Web Applications, and the Meaning of Life"