[nycphp-talk] naming identifiers

lists at nopersonal.info lists at nopersonal.info
Thu Sep 10 15:52:39 EDT 2009

tedd wrote:
> At 1:18 AM -0400 8/30/09, lists at nopersonal.info wrote:
>>
>> In MySQL the exp_date field data type is DATE. I strongly suspect that
>> I'm handling my dates in the most verbose & confusing way possible,
>
> True, you're not handling the date thing correctly, but you're close.
>
> You need to understand how the date was entered into the database.
>
> Check out:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function_date
>
> and review the DATE and NOW functions.

Tedd,

I just wanted to thank you again for calling my attention to the page above.

Today I needed to create a drop down list that would filter the display
of records based on a series of date ranges (expired, 1-30 days, 30-45
days, etc.) With the help of your link & my MySQL reference book--and
after some trial & error with syntax--I was able to use the DATEDIFF and
CURDATE functions in my queries to retrieve exactly the results I
needed. Well, almost--I'm still trying to figure out how to get only
items that are expired or have no expiration date set, but I have no
doubt I'll eventually work it out. In any event, I can see that this
method is wayyyyy better than whatever convoluted process I would have
come up with had you not nudged me in the right direction.

As soon as I figure that last bit out, I'm going to go back and see if I
can also some of the functions to improve the other code that I
initially posted. Even the smallest breakthrough feels like a huge
victory to me, so... Woohoo! *happy dance*

Bev :)