[nycphp-talk] Issues with server getting hacked

Tim Lieberman tim_lists at o2group.com
Fri Sep 11 15:09:17 EDT 2009

I'd have a look at the owner and timestamps on the naughty files.  Are
they owned by the web server user?  If so, check server logs in the
period leading up to the file modification times.

If they're owned by some other user, make sure that user account is
secure.

I've seen plenty of instances where someone thinks "it must be an
insecure script", but it turned out that some user on the box had a
bone-headed, easily brute-forced password.

-Tim