[nycphp-talk] Database, table, and column naming schemes

matt at atopia.net matt at atopia.net
Sun Sep 13 22:08:05 EDT 2009

Tedd,

There are always top level tables in your schema, at least in my opinion. For instance, reference tables that do key -> value pairs tend to not be "root" level tables in a schema. Just my opinion.

Also, I never said account_type would be stored inside the customer table. If you meant my reference to customer_account_type, that was just a naming scheme for a table only, which I was referring to as inefficient but would be a natural progression if I was to be obsessive about always documenting table relationships inside the table names.

Based on the feedback I have gotten in this thread, the way I have done things in the past is okay, except ill now be adding underscores to column names for more than just foreign key identifiers.

Thanks all!

Matt