[nycphp-talk] Enabling PHP Extensions

Tim Lieberman tim_lists at o2group.com
Fri Sep 18 21:06:45 EDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Randal Rust wrote:

>> Means the PHP on your dev box has all extensions already compiled and
>> installed so you can selectively add/remove them by simply editing
>> your
>> php.ini.
>
> OK, that makes sense. However, I have had tech support enable
> extensions on this same server in the past and there has been no
> mention of needing to recompile.

If your still running php4, it seems like it does in fact need to be
compiled in to php.

However, assuming your host is running php >=5.2.0 they can install it
as a shared library via pecl:

# pecl install zip

Just did this, and manually added extension=zip.so to my php.ini on my
macbook pro.

I'm running my own custom-compiled PHP (I like to build my AMP stacks
from source) on this machine, but that shouldn't make a difference.

-Tim