[nycphp-talk] SOA Definition/Explination?

Edward Potter edwardpotter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 19:43:06 EDT 2009

http://www.emptybottle.org/bullshit/  :-)

Ok, if that does not cook it, think METAPHORS, based on HUMAN BEHAVIOR.
Don't have any handy at the moment, but that will do the trick.  Humans can
respond to something based on a metaphor 100X better then some techno BS.

:-)

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Leam Hall <leam at reuel.net> wrote:

> I'm posting this for a friend. She does some teaching for Systems
> Engineering. The big SE, not the MCSE type stuff. Her request is for a 2
> page introduction to SOA that's not in geekish.
>
> If you're curious, INCOSE -- http://www.incose.org/
>
> Thanks!
>
> Leam
>
> ####
>
> Does anyone know of a good top-level overview, geared toward systems
> engineers, of the Service-Oriented Architecture concept? (I.e. geared toward
> INCOSE-type SEs, not Microsoft-type SEs).
>
> The Wikipedia entry isn't bad, but I'd love to have a concise 2-page
> discussion I can give out to my students. Unfortunately, most discussions,
> however much they try to be overviews, tend to aim for the web guru...things
> like "idempotent" "stateful service", "registry", "partition your usage
> scenarios", (even "maximizes business agility") make it difficult to read
> the overview if you don't already know what you are talking about, and I'm
> looking for an overview specifically for people who don't know what it
> means. I want them to start seeing how what they do does and does not
> already use SOA concepts, so they have to know what those concepts are
> without actually doing software development for the web.
>
> ####

IM/iChat: ejpusa
Links: http://del.icio.us/ejpusa
Follow me: http://www.twitter.com/ejpusa