[nycphp-talk] Advice on OOP & Frameworks

Brent Baisley brenttech at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:52:19 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:44 AM, lists at nopersonal.info
<lists at nopersonal.info> wrote:
> Hello ladies & gentlemen,
>
> I've just purchased my first book on PHP Object-Oriented Programming and
>  have also been looking at all the frameworks that abound. I'm unsure of
> where to go from here.

You should read the book. It will help you understand the frameworks,
how they work, and how to code them.
That said, all of the most popular frameworks add a fairly significant
amount of overhead. If you need to create a high performance site, be
prepared to jump into caching so the framework doesn't load on every
page hit.
Here is a kind of old report on benchmarking some frameworks to create
"Hello World".
http://avnetlabs.com/php/php-framework-comparison-benchmarks

While you won't be creating a "Hello World" web page, an Ajax call
would have similar processing requirements (not a lot of data, simple
request). You should now how to create simple pages outside of any
framework, for those simple solutions.

Brent Baisley