[nycphp-talk] What are everyone's thoughts on Zend Framework.

Anthony Wlodarski ant92083 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 19:28:07 EDT 2010

On a few certain projects with CakePHP I found not being able use type
hinting a problem.  Also holding onto PHP 4 for as long as it can hurt us
OOP practices especially with namespace collisions and class prefixes.
Don't get me wrong, the implementation of Active Record is amazing in
CakePHP but when you build complex HABTM relationships loading data can be a
PITA, thus requiring me to go into each model and set the recursion for how
deep it will dig into the database because the arrays coming back are
massive.

In regards to the HABTM complex relationships it was more of a flying by the
seat of your pants, for example once the application grew we noticed that
the memory utilization was growing exponentially.  Unfortunately it grew so
much over a certain amount of time (Site got hit with the Digg effect.) that
one night it took the box offline.  The client got angry and basically
blamed us, after finding the docs on how to reduce the depth of calls into
the DB the damage was done.  We moved to Kohana after that where they
implement a different system for calling related objects.

-Anthony

ant92083 at gmail.com