[nycphp-talk] MAMP or XAMPP ?

Tim Lieberman tim_lists at o2group.com
Sun Apr 25 15:03:42 EDT 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 1:09 PM, John Campbell
> <jcampbell1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think MAMP is a pain in the ass, and prefer to get the stack from
>> MacPorts.   The default MAMP install leaves you with stuff like a
>> different version of PHP for cli vs Apache, and it is a pain to
>> install additional modules.
>
> ++ on this one. I also use rails apps, memcache, and a bunch of other
> non-standard stuff like LightTPD and macports makes use of all these
> things a snap.

If you've got some time to experiment, it's not all that hard to build
an AMP stack from source on MacOS.

It is more work than using MAMP/XAMMP or MacPorts/Fink, but IMO, the
flexibility is worth it in the long run.

I try to maintain a set of shell scripts so I can tweak/recompile as
needed.

I tend to stick everything under some non-standard directory, so I can
have multiple stacks for testing.  For example, if I needed it, I'd
have no problems setting up 4 stacks for 5.2/5.3 under mod_php/
fastcgi.  This way, I can keep my local environment very close to
whatever the production environment is for any particular project.

-Tim