[nycphp-talk] file_get_contents() with a context

Donald J. Organ IV dorgan at donaldorgan.com
Fri Aug 13 16:13:31 EDT 2010

I am using file_get_contents() with a context that defines it should be using http 1.1 default is 1.0....

I am using this inside of a loop that is pulling remote product images and creating thumbnails....

The reason we had to add a context is because with no context specified file_get_contents() used http 1.0 and when looping through say 2000 products it creates 2000 connections to a server in under say 10 seconds.....Most servers dont like this and most hosting companies will see this as a DOS attack.

So Now we've added the context and now each request is taking anywhere from 8-15 seconds. From what I can tell it has to do with the fact that http 1.1 uses a single connection for all of these requests...if I add connection: close to the header then I am right back where I started with http 1.0

So I was wondering if there is a way to tel file_get_contents that it can use more than one connection but its only allow to use say 10.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.