[nycphp-talk] What's your favorite shopping cart? Why?

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 14:21:05 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Robert Kim Wireless Internet Advisor
<evdo.hsdpa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys... im doing a blog post about shopping carts because Im
> getting more and more questions recently about ecommerce... prolly
> because retailers are closing down! UGH!
>
> But i figure... this is the place to ask... what's your favorite
> shopping cart and why? Pros and cons?

The big dedicated commerce platform out there is Magento:

    http://www.magentocommerce.com/

They are getting more and more aggressive with converting from FOSS to
paid downloads, but are currently still open source.

There's also Tienda, which is a Joomla-native suite of commerce tools:

    http://bit.ly/bUTyKV

My preference is the DIY approach, but that's mainly due to people
only coming to me with very specific needs that don't settle well with
the one-size-fits-all solutions out there. My advice is to look at the
features provided by the existing platforms, and weigh those with the
requirements of the store you're trying to produce. Somewhere in there
should be the justification for the "Build or Buy" decision that
should be your first task. :-)

-- Mitch