[nycphp-talk] Autodetecting a Portion of an Image for a Thumbnail

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 10:41:57 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Chuck Reeves <chuck.reeves at gmail.com> wrote:

> I worked an a company that did a lot of image processing.  Here are some
> things you need to be aware of going into this:

All good points, Chuck, but let me back up a little. Maybe the face
example wasn't a good one. I have seen at least 2 apps, one being
WordPress, that automatically generate a square thumbnail for an image
from an area on the image that doesn't start with coordinates at the
top left of the original image. How does it do that?

We have always used GD for images, so perhaps I need to look into IM.

> One simple option might be to have the user select which portion of the
> picture will be used to for the thumb nail.

Yes, we do that. Of course, some users complain because they have to
actually do the work. If I can figure out a way to automatically
generate that thumb from a somewhat acceptable are of the image by
default that would ease some issues. Maybe.

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications