[nycphp-talk] SPROCs in the MySQL/PostgreSQL + PHP crowd

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 07:52:40 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Jerry B. Altzman <jbaltz at altzman.com>wrote:

> I just encountered my first real one.
> It's on a MySQL on a Windows platform--someone from the MSSQL world, no
> doubt.
> Just got bitten hard by it, migrating from 5.0 to 5.1 has slightly
> different schemata in the mysql.mysql database, which made me need to be
> very careful about importing dumpfiles.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what if you copied over the binary database files
(via LVM snapshot if your runnin LVM to prevent downtime) to a 5.1 machine?
Will 5.1 import 5.0 binary files?

BTW, someone who uses a stored procedure in MySQL could be coming from the
Oracle, Sybase, Microsft, or Postgres world. Either that, or they are new to
RDBMSes and do not have prejudices against using certain features in MySQL
since they weren't using it since 4.0 when you could not do these things.

Justin