[nycphp-talk] Inspiration for projects.

Edward Potter edwardpotter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 08:16:31 EST 2010

Go to idealist.org

Search Jobs/Volunteer

Take a gig in India/Tibet/Nepal  for 6 months.

Probably will change your life, for the rest of your life.  Then come back
and write code. But it will be different. Guaranteed.

One of many gigs (zillions) on Idealist.org:

Teaching English to Tibetan Children
The Jyekundo area ("Yushu" in Chinese) is one of the most remote Tibetan
regions with Tibetan culture very much intact. Volunteers are given a very
special opportunity to improve the lives of Tibetan children while also
learning about and immersing in Tibetan culture.

Nepal Volunteer Locations: Langtang Although only 150 km and around 12 hours
North of Katmandu, Langtang is one of the most remote areas of Nepal.

http://idealist.org/if/idealist/en/SiteIndex/Search/search?assetTypes=VolunteerOpportunity&keywords=tibet&keywordsAsString=tibet&languageDesignation=en

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd love to go to a test fest once a year.  Do you have another planned for
> this year?
>

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:12 AM, Hans Zaunere <hans.zaunere at nyphp.com>wrote:
>
>> > In addition to what others said...  Write unit tests for PHP.  Fix bugs
>> > in PHP's C source code.  Knock out documentation bugs for PHP.
>>
>> +1 for unit testing for PHP.  We held a successful testfest in May and had
>> planned on making it a more frequent occurrence (it's actually fun -
>> really).
>>
>> While we have some documentation/notes/experts on how to structure this
>> type
>> of thing, on let's say a monthly or bi-monthly basis vs yearly, time
>> unfortunately hasn't allowed for much more on this front.
>>
>> So, this is another project for the hopper. :)  Let me know if so
>> inclined.

>> http://www.nyphp.org/Show-Participation
>>

> --
> ----
> Hudson Valley Sudbury School
> What GPL is for application users
> Our school is for students
> Help your children grow, change, and learn
> Let your child direct, control, amend
> Check out http://www.sudburyschool.org

IM/iChat: ejpusa
Links: http://del.icio.us/ejpusa