[nycphp-talk] Flex/AIR

Paul A Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Fri Feb 12 13:47:52 EST 2010

Gary Mort wrote:
> I've never been able to justify buying a big flash developer package
> just to play around with flash....

    To stick up for Adobe (which I rarely do),  I will say that the
flash authoring tool from Adobe is pretty awesome.

    The quality of the authoring tool,  I believe,  is one of the big
reasons why Flash has been successful.  Somebody with a visual
arts/graphic design background can pick up the tools,  do the
tutorials,  and be making amazing animations in hours.

    From the viewpoint of a developer,  it's not quite so amazing,  but
personally,  if you're interested in doing Flash and if you think your
time is worth more than $0 an hour,  the Flash authoring tool is a
worthwhile investment.

    On the flipside,  I've been doing Silverlight for the last two years
and I think it's a much better environment,  for developers,  than Flash
is,  constrained by the problem that not so many people have it
installed.  The app contains a mapping system which is vastly more
powerful than anything I've seen in a web-based application,  be it
Google Maps or something flash-based.  Although it's not quite as
featureful,  it draws complex maps as quickly as ARC/GIS does and makes
our competitor's Flash-based and Javascript-based apps look entirely
uncompetitive.

    Other than that,  I also tend to be disappointed w/ the performance
of AIR apps.  One of my major complaints about the desktop twitter
clients that are floating around is that most of them are AIR based,
leak memory,  and cause all sorts of problems.  Hypothetically there's
the advantage that AIR apps run on Macs,  but practically,  AIR apps
spin the CPU on my mac at 100% (even when they are doing nothing) and
make it sound like a helicopter taking off.