[nycphp-talk] MSSQL2008 Express and XAMPP

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 14:58:20 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 2:06 PM, David Krings <ramons at gmx.net> wrote:

> Do you have TCP/IP enabled? That is turned off by default in MSSQL. Why?
> Because everyone needs it....

I'm actually kinda glad that Microsoft turns that off, because not
"everybody" needs it.

First of all, you don't need it if your application is on the same machine
as the SQL server. Second of all, if you don't know what your doing, you
don't want your SQL server open to the world. Third, its not that hard to
turn on once you know where to look. So its secure by default.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for a prompt during the install to turn on
TCP access and warn you of the risks. I also realize that most real world
usages of SQL server require TCP access. However, especially for the
developer and express editions, a few hoops to make it harder to hang
yourself is a good thing.