[nycphp-talk] Google Grants

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 23:10:03 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM, John Campbell <jcampbell1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Any idea why Google would disqualify the request I put in for my
> children's
> > school?
>
> Maybe private schools fall under the "membership or providing benefits
> solely to memebers" exclusion.

Could be, but then that applies to every non profit in the "education"
sphere.  O

>  I really think they are looking for
> causes to support

Perhaps.  Their program is fairly broad and they don't provide any
feedback[It is not atypical for this application to take 4-9 months to
process and they don't provide any updates on where it is in the queue]

I generally tell small businesses to avoid adwords because of Google's
method of juicing their pricing.   So I'm not even sure this is a legitimate
program, or if it is just a way Google uses to advertise the
program[figuring non profits will give up on waiting and just start paying
them].

Still, it is certainly their right to put any parameters on it they want.
 It would just be nice if they actually gave meaningful answers.  As it
is...I still recommend that those on a budget avoid adwords and I recommend
non profits apply for the Google grants and then forget about it for a year
till they hear back.