[nycphp-talk] define variables versus assigned variables

Eddie Drapkin oorza2k5 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 02:25:22 EST 2010

The primary difference between a variable and a constant is
mutability.  If your database authorization details are not going to
change, make them constants.  If your database details DO change
throughout the execution of a script, make them variables.  In regards
to the performance of constants in PHP, that's an incredibly minor
improvement (a microoptimization, really) and it's my opinion that you
ought to be writing software to be good code and not have to hack
around considerations like how many microseconds your database
username declaration takes.

My advice: use constants for script immutable values and variables for
mutable values.  If you want to have a class constant, do that, but
it's not worth the hassle to write a class around the idea that class
constants are faster than global constants.  Use which tool is right
for the job.  Depending on the structure of your application,
DatabaseClass::USERNAME might make more sense than DB_USERNAME, but
that decision ought to be dictated by the structure of your code, not
some small performance consideration.

-Eddie