[nycphp-talk] email system for website

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Mon Jan 4 12:20:54 EST 2010

Paul,

I'm actually pretty confident I can keep the mail servers running
efficiently - it was actually my primary task at my previous job.
Removing the MTA out of the picture entirely, I'm simply trying to decide
how to push messages into the mail queues on the mail server themselves.
I've already decided that we'll have high priority and low priority mail
queues or MTA instances.  I'm more concerned at this point on how to get
the messages there in the most standardized way.

- Do I want to just use mail() inside PHP and push high priority mail
directly to the relay hosts, and then have a separate two server setup -
one to run the cron, and one to act as the MTA, for lower priority bulk
mail?

or

- Do I want to setup a database table, where every message goes into (high
or low priority), and have a process constantly reading from that queue
and creating messages (and then, sending them to the appropriate relay
host, depending on its priority)

So really, this is a case of figuring out how to standardize email
generation, not necesarilly sending.

-Matt